Wednesday 26 January 2022

DFI Day 1

Today I began my DFI journey, as I undertake the Across School Kahui Ako role in the Manaiakalani Cluster of schools in Tamaki. 

A DFI, or Digital Fluency Intensive, is a series of 8 1 day sessions focusing on using digital tools in the classroom effectively. These skills are important pedagogical skills to have in a modern classroom.

Today we focused on the history and kaupapa of Manaiakalani, getting an understanding of the reason it came into existence and the goals around educational equity.

We were given a brief overview of the Google Apps suite and then were given a deep dive into Google Docs. I could really see the benefit in particular of using the Table of Contents function for Docs with my students as they undertake their research assessments. This functionality will enable students to organise their work effectively which is a key element of the task.

The highlight of the day was the learning that I undertook around formatting in Google Docs using images. This was not something I was overly confident in before, but I gave it a go and below is my creation. Not the most advanced, but it is a start.



 

2 comments:

  1. Kia ora Scott,
    Awesome to welcome you to the team of Kāhui Ako Teachers for the Manaiakalani schools in Tāmaki this year. The opportunity to join the first DFI cohort will be hugely valuable as you both connect with the Manaiakalani kaupapa each week and the digital affordances for teaching and learning.
    ngā mihi,
    Fiona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kia ora Scott,
    So great to have you join us last week, to bring your secondary point of view and skills. It will be great to have you join the DFI this year, and I'm sure it will be useful to your role in your Kāhui Ako. I l love that formatting images in Google Docs was your highlight of the day! There are so many more things we can do with docs than just use it as a word processing tool.
    Looking forward to connecting again on Thursday.
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete